The problem faced by vegan athlete Brendan Brazier (one of the top professional Ironman triathletes in Canada) was constant: Difficulty in finding a vegan all-in-one protein and nutritional supplement in a form that was 100% plant-based and whole food derived, as well as convenient and portable due to his busy travel calendar. Can you imagine taking a blender with you everywhere everytime you traveled? Well, that’s what he was he was forced to do! With each trip, it became more and more clear that bringing the blender was necessary – The lack of good vegan products of the quality and form he needed posed a big challenge. Something had to be done.
The challenge: Create a shake of superb quality with the following 10 vegan criteria:
1. Made with all natural, plant-based ingredients (absolutely no animal products)
2. Made primarily with whole foods in their freshest, least processed form possible
3. Provide a balance of protein, carbohydrates and healthy fats, plus a significant contribution to your daily intake of vitamins and minerals when mixed in plain water
4. Feature proteins from a diverse variety of vegetarian sources that combine to
deliver a complete essential amino acid profile
5. Provide carbohydrates that are naturally occurring, complex and low-glycemic, with no added sugars or sugar-derivatives
6. Deliver essential fatty acids of the highest quality, the majority being Omega-3s, with no trans fats
7. Free of dairy, gluten and soy
8. Include no artificial colors, flavors, or sweeteners
9. Taste good with pleasant texture and flavor when mixed with plain water
10. Easy to prepare for on-the-go convenience .
A dedication to vegan principles, a good partnership, careful product formulation and testing, perseverance, and ultimately, the product available to us today known as Vega One.
Vega One contains ingredients chosen by Brendan to work synergistically to nourish the body and reduce nutritional stress. Brendan no longer needs to lug his old blender with him when he travels.
Special thanks to Jessica for discussing Vega products with me in person. The company’s story in its entirety, The Vega Story, is a true account of triumph and inspiration. What’s printed in my blog here is the partial story. The full story has a lot of highs and lows – Give it a read – You’ll be inspired. Click on any Vega image here to see all products available.